Our days are usually scheduled to the minute. We have work obligations, school deadlines, friend, and family responsibilities. When life gets busy it’s usually our own needs that get neglected. There is a popular quote that says, “You can’t pour from an empty cup.” It refers to the idea that if you do not take the time to take care of yourself, you will not have the ability to take care of other aspects of your life.
Why Invest In Yourself?
When you take the time to invest in yourself you can boost your confidence and feel a sense of accomplishment. Often, when we avoid investing in ourselves it is because we don’t feel like we deserve it. It can seem like there are always other things that require your time, energy, or money. But by making that initial investment in yourself, whether that’s signing up for a class or working towards your health and fitness goal, you can boost your confidence. It is a message to yourself that you are worthy, which can improve your overall outlook on life. With that confidence, you can reach your goals or even striver for larger goals.
How to Make the Investment:
Investing in both your mind and body allows you to have more to give now and in the future. Whether that’s energy, knowledge, creativity, or physical and mental endurance.
- Try new things. Expanding your mind and learning new things keeps your brain active. Maybe you’ve always wanted to learn how to make empanadas or mountain bike. As you gain new knowledge and skills, you can feel a greater sense of accomplishment.
- Invest time in your creativity. Creativity can inspire a lifelong love of learning. When our creativity is sparked it allows us to be curious and playful, which leaves us feeling energized and fulfilled.
- Invest in building your confidence. You can begin by understanding the value you have to offer in any given situation. Perhaps it’s your skills at work or your capacity for empathy with family and friends. Know your strengths and feel confident to share those skills with others.
- Take care of your health. Making time for exercise and maintaining a healthy diet is an important investment in your overall mental and physical health.
- Seek out support. When you have trouble figuring out how to best invest in yourself, seeking outside support can be beneficial. This can be someone like a life or career coach or mental health professional. This support can help you determine the best areas of your life for investment and how to take action towards your goals.
Journey Home Can Help
Journey Home West provides a nurturing, sober-living environment with a supportive community. Our relationship-based programming helps clients with therapeutic support, life skills refinement, and personal growth.
We help teens build a sense of responsibility for themselves and their relationships with others. While clients are attending Journey Home West, they learn about self-care, time management, budgeting, and other skills that help them build personal responsibility. For more information please call (855) 918-0032.